Expert Search Reflection (1)

Carol Kuhlthau’s (2004b) model of the Information Search Process (ISP) is a useful framework for reflection. I have referred to the Information Search Process throughout my inquiry process and found the phases were generally consistent with my experience. One observation I did make, is that the process was not strictly linear, with some movement back and forth between a few of the stages. I shall share brief notes of my own experience of each phase of the process below:

Initiation

• Inquiry initiated by lecturer at beginning of semester of Masters unit
    • Requirement to work through an inquiry into inquiry learning using multiple sources
  • Feelings of uncertainty and a little overwhelmed by perceived workload
  • Kuhlthau’s (2015) criteria for topic selection helped to think realistically
    • personal interest – most influential for me
    • meets assessment requirements
    • researchable (with tools directed to use) – of high importance as expert searching large part of assessment
    • timeframe

Selection

• Directed to choose three inquiry questions of interest
    • A little apprehensive about choosing appropriate questions
  • Feelings of uncertainty about the expectations were soon relieved by reading the very thorough Assessment Guide
  • Chose my three questions and gained feedback from peers on the Google+ community
    • Feelings of motivation and positivity about the task ahead

Exploration

• According to Kuhlthau et al. (2015), the task of this phase is to “explore information with the intent of finding a focus” (pg. 44)
    • This is this is the most difficult stage of the research process for most students (p.45)
  • Consistent with the research, I struggled to find a focus and spent considerable time searching for information on all three questions simultaneously
  • Process made more difficult by lack of prior knowledge and skill in expert searching using some of the required sources – this cognitive load reduced with direct teaching during tutorials and being provided with videos of examples
  • At times, I felt like I was floundering with no clear direction

Formulation

• Time to form a focus from the information found (Kuhlthau et al. (2015, p. 45)
  • Patterns and consistency across some topics and anomalies in others during expert searching helped to narrow the focus of some questions
  • Still felt like I was in exploration phase in relation to other questions
  • Felt my questions were fairly focussed to begin with, so it was difficult to narrow them down much more

Collection

• Gathering information that “defines, extends and supports the focus” (Kuhlthau et al, 2005, p. 45)
    • Consistent with my experience – experienced success with collecting relevant and high-quality resources for possible inclusion in a curated collection of resources
  • Experienced increasing confidence with expert searching

Presentation

• The creation of this blog and the creation of the curated collection of resources related to my focus inquiry question is the “culmination of the inquiry process, when the learning is prepared to share with others” (Kuhlthau et al, 2015, p. 45)
  • My final “focus” which I used to gather relevant resources for:  The What, Why and How of Inquiry Learning: an inquiry into the purpose, impact and implementation of inquiry-based pedagogies in primary schools.

Assessment

• Consists of reflection and self-assessment
  • I have an increased interest and self-awareness, coupled with feelings of satisfaction, which are consistent with the ISP model.
  • Sense of accomplishment is inevitable upon submission of this blog as an assessment item for a Masters unit on Inquiry Learning.

Using the ISP to reflect on my personal inquiry, provides a solid basis from which to design future inquiry learning experiences for my students (and colleagues) and provides greater awareness and understanding of the process, which in turn empowers me to intervene and support them through the inquiry process (Kuhlthau et al., 2015, p.44).

References

Kuhlthau, C. (2004b). Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services. 2nd ed. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited/Greenwood Press

Kuhlthau, C., Maniotes, L.K. & Caspari, A.K. (2015). Guided Inquiry: Learning in the 21st Century (2nd ed.). Santa Barbara, California: Libraries Unlimited.